Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fish Cakes

2 posters

Go down

Fish Cakes Empty Fish Cakes

Post  David May 31st 2009, 10:02 pm

Just a quick one for those of you that love mashed potato........

Did not take any photos this time but will get the kids to do this and get photos posted very soon.

You need 2 Kilos of Potatos peeled and cut up small
1 half Glass of milk
2 oz Butter
4 oz of grated cheese ( I like strong cheddar)
8oz can of either Salmon or Tuna
Olive oil
Flour

You know the score, place the potatos into a pan of water, just covering them with water, place on the lid and boil for about 25 minutes. It doesnt matter if you boil for longer as you want them nice and soft anyway.
Once they are cooked remove from the heat and drain the water, you do not need the water so down the sink is OK.
Smash the potatos up with either a fork or a potato masher or both, add the milk and the butter and mash in a circular motion so that you get all of the lumps. You know there is nothing worse than finding a great lump of hard potato in your mash!
Now grate the cheese into the mash and stir it in and do the same with the canned fish. Get it even throughout the pan.

You need a plate covered in flour as you now take the mash a spoonful at a time and turn it into a pattie coated in flour. Repeat until all of your mix is in nicely flattened round balls.

Heat up a frying pan and add a covering of olive oil to the bottom, heat it up and once hot add some of the patties, do not overcrowd the frying pan as you have to turn them over. So wait until they start to crisp on the down side and turn and repeat. Serve them hot and remember you can make them spicy by adding a touch of chili to the mix, in fact you can add just about anything to mashed potato as it is so versatile.

Serve with whatever condiments you like, personally I love it with vinegar, my wife with tomato ketchup and the kids with whatever they can get their hands on.
David
David
Celebrity Chef
Celebrity Chef

http://jarvisgourmet.com

Back to top Go down

Fish Cakes Empty Fish Cakes an appreciation

Post  Tata May 31st 2009, 11:03 pm

Just finished eating and I am stuffed. This was the first dish that David ever cooked for me when we were first married and it is still one of my favourites today. The cheese is a recent addition as have many other ingredients been over the years and along the way. David also often uses freshly cooked Tilapia as this has a strong flavour. Fish cakes really need a fish with a distinct flavour.
Try the recipe you cannot go wrong.
Tata
Tata
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down